Jan 9, 2006

(it's not even a spring!) cleaning

The first 24-hour of my (new) life begins with, literally, spring cleaning.

Collected dust was getting thicker than the last time I came here, and that was merely less than a month ago. There I was, once again being a king of neatness, tidiness, cleanliness, who already planned out what and how to organize the house in order, and this left me occupied at least for the next few days.

Whew.

And tonight, I chose to occupy myself with John Irving’s The 158-Pound Marriage which took me until its 90-something page to spot Irving’s usual quirkiness, surely provides as a major relief in otherwise sexually-charged literary work.
In a perfect world, the novel should be read with the companion of energetic Joshua Bell’s strings in The Red Violin soundtrack to provoke the erotic passion in myself to absorb the story.
Yet, as tonight marks the eve of Idul Adha, a Muslim festive holiday in accordance to the annual pilgrimage in Mecca, I managed to finish the book with the companion of takbir and tahmid.

I follow the two by heart, I read through the words on the novel by turning on my mind.

Believe me, the chanting gives an inexplicable effect to my reading, unlike any genre of music I’ve relied myself on to.

Talk about spring cleaning, make that cleansing though, of animal-instinct behavior.

cleaning feels like slaving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish i read this post before... then maybe you can do some spring cleaning with my place as well... hehehe j/k

Nauval Yazid said...

'KA,
like it's gonna cost you a bomb to hire me? :P

My Profile

My photo
Jakarta, Indonesia
A film festival manager. A writer. An avid moviegoer. An editor. An aspiring culinary fan. A man.