Nov 30, 2005

on ffi 2005.

i, nauval, wholeheartedly and dutifully accept the fact that i have not watched the following films shortlisted for official selection to compete in festival film indonesia (ffi) 2205:

- gie
- brownies
- ketika (does watching 1 disc out of 2 discs count?)
- virgin

because it requires tremendous efforts to see indonesian films on a big screen here, and financial constraint forbids me to travel back to indonesia on regular basis.

thus, watching 3 films out of the 7 selected ones will be deemed not qualified to put any comments or judgment towards the festival.

i hereby refrain myself from giving any opinion on the result of the festival ...

yet let me praise joko anwar for getting his film selected as an opening film for asian festival of first films recently held in singapore. the gesture of appreciation is given to joko for his hilarious debut which shows his penchant towards film, and the film was made with a clear and concise concept on how the film would look like on a big screen. not to mention to generate good, healthy laughter among the film's intended audience.

for cornelia agatha and sauzan, good luck. may one of you walk with the coveted prize.

for rudi sudjarwo and his 'tentang dia', next time do not ever do deus-ex-machina concept again, ok? ending a story by forcing one of the main characters to disappear in such a banal manner is hardly any logical, at least not to the mind of modern audience. we are convinced that this may work in any novels by graham greene, yet your film does not stand alongside the merits of them.

oh, have i said too much?

for the rest of you, do check the mecca of indonesian film reviews in sinema indonesia. the guys there have surely done a commendable job, and i tip my hat off to all of them.

i wonder if they ever drop by here, though. i doubt so, since we differ greatly in examining films.

the reason why i do not leave any comments on the blog is as simple as:

i don't have an account in multiply.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

hahaha, me neither. I mean, I don't have an account in multiply, either. And too lazy to start making one.

As for sinema indonesia, urmmmm... I don't knoooow. I feel their previous review is more worth-reading than the recent ones. Their review is getting lame, and nothing more than just bitching about.

I don't really like the way Nanda-something reviewed Alexandria. Not that I've watched the movie, but somehow I have feeling that her pure motive is just to make the audience laugh.

I consider this site my guilty pleasure, hehe.

dodY said...

Gie = keren abis :)

guario said...

gue cuma nonton VIRGIN, yes, I saw it, sama JANJI JONI. Udah:D. Janji Joni bukan jenis film yang harusnya menang award untuk best picture, tapi kalo actor, boleh, musik, oke.

VIRGIN? Mati gue! Somebody shoot me if this film wins!!!!

My Profile

My photo
Jakarta, Indonesia
A film festival manager. A writer. An avid moviegoer. An editor. An aspiring culinary fan. A man.